I’m so excited to celebrate my birthday in NYC next week. I’ll be spending a couple of days with grad school friends (We are Penn State!) along the North Shore of Long Island. Then it’s off to the city for 3 days of exploring, eating, people watching and soaking up the energy of one of my favorite cities.
I’m usually not one to plan out a vacation itinerary. I like to do whatever I feel like on a whim. It’s one of the many joys of being single. However, there are a few places on my NYC “to do” list.
- Dominique Ansel Bakery – I must try a cronut. The sheer idea of a hybrid pastry that’s half croissant, half donut has my taste buds grinning from ear to ear.
- Eataly – Mario Batali and the half dozen friends who keep raving about this gourmet Italian food mecca can’t be wrong.
- Grimaldi’s – Ever since I spent a month living in Brooklyn Heights, I’ve been enchanted with that neighborhood. Eating a few slices of pizza followed by a moonlight stroll along the Promenade is high on my list. (Yes, there’s a theme here. Food makes me happy!!)
- TKTS – I always love the thrill of waiting on the TKTS line, asking for the best available solo ticket (often in the first few rows) and spending a night on Broadway.
- Shopping in SoHo – Sorry San Francisco, I love you, but your boutiques kinda suck in comparison to NYC.
- The Met – Even after visiting Cairo, I still feel a sense of mystery and excitement walking through the Egyptian exhibit. My trips there are usually followed by a walk through Central Park with a hot dog and/or ice cream cone in hand.
If you have any favorite places in NYC that I should visit, I’d love to hear from you.